Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Holy Knee Saver Batman!

It's been over a week since my last blog update and much has happened!  I'm so excited to update all of you about the arena! Things are getting real around here!  :)
The walking horse weather vane atop
one of the two cupola. 

The siding is installed on all sides of the arena now - except for a few pieces around the door frames.  In addition the front now has a porch section that covers the main walk-in entrance door. The 10' deep porch will protect that door from rain and snow, helping to keep it clear for entry, no matter the weather. This is located at the door closest to the existing barn and paddock. My plan is to saddle in the main stall barn and then walk over to ride in the arena.  In addition all the wainscoting is now installed, the windows and corners of the building are all trimmed in cream, and the final pieces of smoked sidelights have been installed across the entire 120' front wall. This was the point where the crew ended on Friday. The arena is standing for the most part  - although it looks like a few puzzle pieces are still missing. Gaps include a few pieces of siding here and there, the doors, cupolas and shutters.  But it now should only be a few more days of work for the crew. Oh, it's so close to being done!

Inside view. The knee saver wall is starting to be
framed in along the back wall. 
My alarm went off at 6am on Saturday morning. I woke up, made a coffee and walked down to the barn to toss hay and get my horses ready for day 2 of a horse show. I had been showing all day Friday at the Wisconsin State Fair Grounds at the Brew City Charity Horse Show. I had gotten home pretty late, well after dark Friday night, so I didn't get to see the progress made on Friday. I  walked over to see the arena in the daylight. I noticed a few pieces of the knee-saver wall was installed - they had started to frame out the kickwall on the inside of the arena.  Cool!  As I walked across the arena to see the framing, a few trucks drove up the drive. I wonder who that is this early in the morning?  Scott was walking down from the house as I came out of the arena to see who our 6am guests were. Three guys jumped out and waved at Scott. But they weren't the construction crew. I didn't recognize them. Scott had a grin on his face as he turned to me and said, "Surprise! Your electricians are here!"  Oooooo, that was a surprise!  I had no idea they would be here today. Yeah!  More progress!
Within a day the knee saver wall is in.
Lights are getting installed too!

I had to leave for the show, but I was able to walk through the general lighting plans and share what Scott and I had in mind with the electricians. The lights for the outside will have photo-eyes that will be programmed to turn on at dusk. They will be recessed into the 18" overhang and will flood beams of light down the extetior walls for a cool visual effect at night.  The inside arena lights will provide the
option to have a single row or all rows of lights on, my choice. The location of electric plugs will accommodate fans and enable me to place window candles in each window for Christmas. Of course Scott rolled his eyes, but indulged me. It will look pretty from the house. We always put a little window candle in every window of the house and barn. Now, the arena windows will also contain this colonial holiday tradition. The plan was for the guys to run the wire this weekend and then they'd return next weekend to finish the job with fixtures.  However when I went down Sunday morning to see what was accomplished so far,  I saw that they had also hung all the arena lights already. No power was run into the arena, but the ceiling lights were hung.  They looked like little soldiers, in perfect rows. Chills went down my spine and a few tears fell down my cheek. It's so real. It's so close to being an actual arena. Oh my gosh. I'm so, so, so excited.
The angled wall ensures my knees are
protected while I ride. 

On Monday night I arrived home from work to find the cupolas in place - complete with my pretty walking horse weather vanes on top. I stood and looked up. They were visible against the evening sky. The breeze was lightly blowing and twirling the weathervane cups around in a circle. I smiled.

Inside all the kick walks were installed. I smiled again.

Now, we wait for the doors to arrive. There seems to be a sizing correction that needs to be made to the custom order. Arghhh!  I pray that they will still arrive and the final install will happen before the holiday weekend. Fingers crossed.  Literally moments left until we're done and footing can be brought in. I'm so ready to ride!



A reminder of why this project
means so much. Diva wins her 1st
floral ring at the Brew City Charity
Show this weekend to support
Make A Wish charity!



No comments:

Post a Comment