Saturday, August 13, 2016

What a difference a week makes!

A weekend ago we were sitting waiting for the dig on Monday. Now, this weekend, I'm sitting looking at a fully framed building. It was a big week and it's totally amazing how much has happened in such a short time.

Trench dug. Footing boxes set. 
Monday was the day of the 'Big Dig.' The excavator arrived at 730am with the large backhoe and a truck of stone. They started on one end and over the span of the day they excavated about 100' X 8' X 8' trench. Then the building team placed the stone and the frames for the footings. The width was extra wide so that the sandy soil could fall in but not cover the middle where the footings would be poured.  It was evident that these guys were pros. The one crew member told me this was an easy day.  They typically are digging huge ditches and doing commercial work.

Three trusses in. 
The best news is that they hit solid soil and between the stone and footings, the posts will be extra sturdy and solid. I certainly will be able to sleep at night knowing that we won't have future issues.

Late in the afternoon a cement truck arrived and poured the footings. That completed Day 1. They left the trench open to allow the cement to cure for the posts that would be set on Tuesday.  Later that night I climbed down into the trench and sat on my footings. Just to touch those babies. I knew I'd never see them again - but I wanted to always have that special moment.
My footing moment.

I had to go out of town for work - so the rest of the week's arena progress came to me in the way of photos. 

On my drive to Indianapolis the first photo arrived. The guys had the first three of 13 posts set on the footings and they were beginning to back fill the trench. By the time I arrived at the Indianapolis office, I had a photo showing all the posts set and the ground was pushed back in place. No more trench. Day 2 was complete and we were back in business.  The builder had said it would take about two weeks for them to do our project. Of course, due to issues, it's taken much longer. But we are now back on track after our footing snafu. 




Posts set and ground back filled. 
Day 3 was all about cross bracing and prep for the trusses that would happen on Day 4. The trusses arrived and were dropped off arena-side for the team. On Day 4 the real excitement began. By the time I had my morning coffee in Indy I received a photo from Rachel, who was taking care of my horses this week. She snapped a photo from the paddock as they hoisted the first truss and set it into place. Omg!  I couldn't believe it. Soooooooo, exciting!!! ( Thanks Rachel!)
Truss #1 goes in. 

Later in the day another message and photo arrived from Scott showing more than half of the trusses were up. Wow! It was all happening pretty fast now. Then late in the day a photo showed all the trusses in place and the cross bracing started for the roof.  I couldn't believe it. I called Scott to check in with him between the work day of meetings and before going out for dinner. He told me the entire truss roof was up and the next step was the actual roofing. That would happen next week. They want to allow the trusses to rest over the weekend just to ensure no movement or issues.
The view coming up the drive. 


Trusses all in. Cross bracing on roof. 
I drove home from Indy on Thursday. It was a long drive but I had the good company of my colleague, Lindsay, as well as texts from Shannon to make the time pass faster - with a few laughs as well.

I couldn't wait to get home to see the arena in person. After more than a six-hour drive to Madison, and an additional hour home from there - I finally pulled into my driveway. It was dark so I knew I wouldn't see too much but my heart was pounding anyway. I drove slowly. From the entrance of my drive I couldn't see anything but trees. I slowed at the culvert and stopped. Once I go over the stream and through the tree line I would get my first glimps. I took a deep breath and pulled through the opening and around the corner - and my headlights hit the building. Oh my gosh!!  I started to cry. There it was. It was really there. And, it's really, really big. I can't even see the main barn behind it now. But you can see the house to the left. I realized I was holding my breath and exhaled. I slowly drove up the drive and watched as more of the building appeared as I came closer and drove alongside it. I stopped and peered into the main doorway before turning to head up the driveway to the house. So cool. My dream sitting there, fully framed out.
Panoramic view from the main door. Love. 

I drove up to the house, parked, pulled my luggage out of the trunk and entered the house. I could hear Scott snoring. Darn, it's too late and I didn't have the heart to wake him. So, I snuck out to take a closer look at the arena, alone, in the moon light. Wow!  I couldn't see much but I could see it was all up.  I turned a few times as I walked back up to the house. And I looked out the window of my bedroom just before I jumped into bed. That night, I slept soundly in my own bed and dreamed of my rides.

All I could think was - what a difference a week makes!


1 comment:

  1. it certainly looks like a very quality job...way to go Carpenters.

    ReplyDelete