Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Siding, Windows and Rain - Oh My!

Monday started the building week with a bang. The crew arrived extra early and were prepping walls as I fed horses before heading for work. Bob, the crew leader asked me to stop to confirm door and window locations. His info seemed strange so he wanted to double check. The windows are meant to be hung vertically, to match the house and existing barn windows. So, yep that's correct. But were they placed at the correct heights?  Yep, after a bit of discussion, the height was determined correct too. We have wainscoting on the outside and kickwall for security on the inside and we need to clear both of those elements, plus account for the sand footing that still needs to be brought in. Check. And double-check. All is good in blueprint land, so off to work I go.
Back wall is in. Includes smoked glass sidelights.
Wainscoting still to come. 

At work I kept wondering what was happening back home. I texted Scott - "not sure if I want to see pictures or be surprised with the unveil when I get home."  No pictures came from Scott. I wasn't sure if I liked or hated that fact. All I knew is that my anticipation was high. My drive home was long. And my heart was pumping as I turned into the driveway, not sure what I'd see as I rounded the culvert today.  How far would they be?

My heart sank a little when it seemed only the back wall was up. I think I had visions of all sides up. Lol. As I drove up the drive I noticed the windows were framed in and so were the walk doors and big split sliding door. Oh, I guess quite a bit got done today!  The putsy work that takes more time and attention to get just right. The guys waved as I passed and drove up to the house. I ran upstairs and changed into jeans and walked down for a better inspection. The back wall was in. That included the double row of smoked sidelight that ran all along that side. We wanted a lot of light in the arena but I didn't like the white panels that seem to turn yellow over time. So we were excited to find smoked gray sidelight panels that match, camouflage the poles and won't turn yellow overtime.
Gable end facing paddock is in too.
Arena from the horse's point of view. 

Up close the work was impressive. Every panel was straight as an arrow and even each fastener was in a perfect line. It looked awesome and a chill ran down my spine. Yeah!  Scott walked down and rested his arms on one of the framed windowsills, and watched me with a smile on his face.   He has been very pleased with the workmanship of the building. And now that the footing fiasco is behind us, he's been enjoying the building process more....requiring less beer.  Mostly he's enjoying my ooo's and ahhh's of excitement. I guess that's really what this is all about, right?!  Getting to build dreams.

On Tuesday the crew placed the windows in their frames as I was leaving for work. That made me think the front wall would be put up next. Oh happy day - that will be super exciting to see!  However, when I got home it was the two gable ends that were completed.  The crew was still there and cutting and placing pieces on the front entrance
A little rain?
Go, go away!
wall, around the window and door openings. This probably includes the trickiest cuts that need to be made on the building siding. Putsy work again. But, as a result, you can see a building standing there as you arrived on the drive.

The front main wall is next. But Wednesday brought rain....so the crew isn't here. 😕  I have off of work today and the rest of the week and I was hoping to watch the front get raised. Hopefully tomorrow.  In the meantime, Rachel stopped by and we toured the arena in galoshes and umbrellas, sipping frappes.

To all my friends competing at the Celebration that opens today - best of luck!  I'm thinking of all of you and wishing I could be there too.  My "big oval" is my arena project right now.  Hope you all have safe and fun rides!  I'll be monitoring the results and cheering you all on to victory!


No comments:

Post a Comment